Like what you’ve read? Subscribe:
What It Costs To Secure An Apartment with Paris RentalDownload your free guide here
The fire is a serious disaster that can spread in nearby buildings. Be careful !
• 1 out of 4 fires are caused by electricity: do not overload a power line by connecting too many devices all at once.
• 1 out of 6 fires is due to smoking accidents: do not smoke in bed, do not empty an ashtray too quickly.
• 1 out of 8 fires starts in the kitchen: watch mainly frying pans and stoves.
In the event of a fire outbreak
Do not panic !
If the start of fire comes from a neighbor’s home, open all your windows, close the shutters, put buckets and basins full of water behind them and as soon as you see a sparkle of fire throw the water on it.
If the fire starts in your own home
• A curtain begins to catch on fire: take a basin of water and water everything. A glass of water in the thirty seconds after a fire begins avoids the water cannon of a firefighter twenty minutes later!
• A wastebasket catches fire: jump with your feet together or put a blanket over it (the fire stops as soon as it has no more oxygen).
• In case of extensive fire
• Close all exits from the room where the fire is located, including windows. This avoids the rapid spread of fire and protects against asphyxiation caused by smoke.
• Put rags, if possible wet, at the bottom of the doors to slow down the air supply.
• Put a damp cloth over your face to protect yourself from smoke emanations.
• Call the fire department and, above all, do not jump out the window!
These precautions should protect you during the time needed for firefighters to arrive.